Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Monday, November 24, 2008
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Thursday, November 20, 2008
in any event, I wouldn't want to be going anywhere in a hurry! More insights:
- He got to tour the building where he is working, it is 6-7 stories high, with several different companies housed there
- He's sleeping during the daytime, and working at night
- He mentioned not being able to take his breakfast back to his room to eat because the maid service was cleaning his room, I said, "Oh that's nice, you have someone to clean up and make the bed for you", he said, "Yeah, just like I do at home." Duh--I do make the bed every morning, don't I?
- He explored a bit more around the hotel and saw several shops there, he mentioned a book store, home decor and a fabric store. Didn't take the time to buy anything yet. It's not like he didn't have a chance, he said they were waiting at the entrances of the shops greeting him, trying to lure him in and begin "haggling" over prices. Wouldn't it be nice to go into Target and "haggle" with the sales clerk until you were happy with the amount you were paying!!!
- The weather is VERY humid. Lots of mosquitoes.
- Time correction. I mentioned the difference was 10 1/2 hours, it is actually 11 1/2 hours later than we are.
- Believe it or not, they brought in Papa John's pizza for lunch at work. It was chicken pizza, with lots of hot, Indian spices!
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
- He is now sleeping from 3 a.m. until noon
- The outside area of the hotel looks like a Polynesian setting, tropical plants, fountains and a huge pool (he promised he's taking pics for me!)
- Even though the traffic is awful and the streets are narrow (most of the vehicles are small) he hasn't seen any accidents
- The roads look like paving stones
- The BBQ chips he ordered weren't quite like ours--they were HOT, SPICY, CHIPOLTE tasting!
- He is staying on the outskirts of town, the downtown area where he would like to look around and do some shopping is about 40 miles away, the driver told him it would take 1-2 hours to drive there, so he'll probably have to wait until the weekend to do much exploring.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
- Nice hotel, gated, full of security (the photo above is in the lobby)
- Traffic is crazy, everyone drives by their own rules, lots of honking, gesturing, stopping and going, bulls walking on the sidewalk right beside traffic
- Motorcycles weaving in and out of traffic between vehicles, all in a hurry
- Had a bacon cheeseburger at one of the hotel restaurants, it was made with top sirloin and thick-cut bacon, like canadian bacon
- He had been warned before traveling, about the water--DON'T DRINK IT! DON'T GET IT IN YOUR EYES! So, they told them not to expect ice. He ordered coke with his hamburger and they brought it to the table and poured it over a glass of ice. He was quick to ask about how safe it was. He was informed that it would be fine, served from the hotel. So---he drank away!
He should be able to email me from work now on a daily basis. We probably won't talk on the phone everyday--quite expensive! So I'll update as soon as I hear from him again.
Monday, November 17, 2008
While he's been gone:
- I worked at the office this morning until 12:30 p.m.
- I kept looking at the clock today in my scrapbook room, beginning at 5:00 p.m. when he is supposed to get off work. Sometimes it is much later than that, but I'm programmed to start listening for my "phone call" any time after that. You know the call, the one that really means, "Honey, I'm on my way home, what's for dinner?"
- I scrapbooked. I'm hoping to get a lot accomplished while he is away. I'm not a night owl at all--but it's harder for me to go to sleep when he isn't here.
- I made blueberry muffins from a mix, and added a very ripe banana that I had on the cabinet. I can't seem to sit still for very long. Oh, by the way, they are yummy!
- I talked to Caleb on the phone for a bit. He calls to get cooking advice. His question of the night? "Christy's making cookies, but we don't have sticks of butter--how much would that be?" Oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies, wish I was there for one of those, too!
- Did some laundry. (that's a given, right?)
- Cooked a hamburger for dinner, only because I have left over meat thawed out and needed to cook it, or throw it out tomorrow. Kelsey's been busy with friends tonight, so I didn't even have to cook for her.
- Began to go through a mile high stack of magazines I've been saving up. Time to recycle!
- More scrapbooking...
Just got an updated text, "I'm OK, tired, need shower. Call u when go to work tonite. Luv u 2!" Yeah! That means I'll get to talk to him on the phone sometime tomorrow morning!
Hope all is well with everyone. Will update soon. Off to do some knitting...
On his way to India...
Roger had the opportunity to travel to Mumbai (formally known as Bombay), India with his job. His journey began Sunday 16th, at 8:00 a.m. He flew out of OKC, since we were already there for a family event. Thankfully, the hotel where we were staying took him to the airport so I wouldn't have to get up at 6:00 a.m. to drop him off. Thank you, Roger! He first flew to Dallas to meet up with 2 other people that were traveling with him. A quick phone call after 9:00 a.m. let me know he had arrived there safely. With 5 hours to wait until the next flight, he read the paper, got some breakfast, and just hung around. It's fun to "people watch" at the airport, ya know?! The second flight, going to San Francisco left around 2:00 p.m. Almost 4 hours later, he arrived in California. Another wait... It was around 9:00 p.m. when they finally lifted off from there to fly to Shanghai. A quick text message let me know he had landed safely in Shanghai around 10:41 a.m. today (Monday), our time. I think they were only laying over for about 2 hours. Hopefully, he is back on the plane for the last flight, landing in Mumbai later tonight. He should arrive there around 9:00 p.m., our time. India is in their own time zone, which is 10 1/2 hours ahead of us. So, after 4 flights and 2 days of travel, I'm sure my guy will be a tired puppy! I just can't imagine--everyone that knows me, knows I am not a very good traveler, especially flying! I'm really excited that he has the opportunity to go---we certainly wouldn't have ever planned a trip like that together!